Friday, July 17, 2009

Energy drinks... not so frugal

So, my hubby came home from the dentist the other day and was sad... the dentist showed him an X-ray of his molars that show that they are basically rotting away from the inside. We have $600 (after insurance) in dental work lined up for him over the next few months as a result, and that probably won't be the end of it.

The dentist and my husband were both perplexed. Why would his teeth suddenly be crumbling to bits in his mouth? She asked him if he drank soda... all day long. To which he answered, "No, I hate soda!" I never buy it. We never drink it. Not even in restaurants- we usually drink water or unsweetened iced tea.

Then it suddenly dawned on him... he took a job a year ago that involves working second and third shifts, sometimes back-to-back. As part of his daily work habits, he had been stopping at the convenient store to buy energy drinks (which makes my little cheapskate soul rather unhappy! But I try not to get on my husband's case about things like that- overall, he's a pretty frugal guy.) He wasn't bringing coffee to work because his employer requires him to bring things in sealed containers (security reasons.) So he was drinking Monster and Rockstar drinks every day and then working long shifts without brushing his teeth. :-( Those drinks have some serious sugar.

Needless to say, he's kicking that habit! Yikes! I had no idea sugar was that bad for your teeth. Not to mention, very expensive consequences.

No comments: