Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th!


I hope everybody enjoyed their holiday today, and took some time to reflect on how very, very lucky we are to live in a country where we can enjoy freedom, health and safety to a degree that people in many other countries can only dream about.



I was really surprised when I was out and about today to see how many stores were open for business. Is this a new phenomenon, or am I just noticing this more now? It used to be that on a major national holiday, you were lucky if you found a convenient store that was open if you needed milk or something. I stopped by Office Max today because I had a coupon for $10 off a $20 purchase, and it expired today, so I thought on my way by I would see if they were open. I almost didn't, because I assumed they wouldn't be. But they were open, from 9 to 6. There were three employees and exactly one customer- me.

It doesn't even seem to make good business sense to keep a store like Office Max open on a day like today. I'm sure the employees are receiving overtime-- how much business would they have to do to cover their hourly wages? But more than that, what ever happened to respecting an important holiday? People should be spending time with their families, not working unless they perform a crucial job like working in a hospital or in law enforcement. And can't shopping wait for another day?



photo by Terry J. Adams source NSBP license Public Domain

No comments: